Easy Street!

Sunday, December 9, 2012

It's Saturday!

So it's Saturday and it's Block of the Week time!  I had two blocks to do this week as I was out of town on business for a couple of weeks.  I decided to use my standard turquoise dot fabric in one as a main fabric and in the other block as the background.  I did not dither too much this week on fabric selections as I have a lot to get done.  They aren't perfect, but here are blocks 14 and 15:

Week 14 - Bride's Knot: Invisible Women

Week 15: Centennial: New Zealand's Victory














I borrowed ColvinKiwiQuilt's idea of a ring setting in the Bride's Knot by fussy cutting a print that reminds me of a solitaire diamond.  Can you imagine that a woman used to lose all her financial assets and decision-making powers upon marriage?  Glad that got fixed!

I went a little crazy in the block for week 15.  I originally was going to use the b/w wavy fabric in the bride's knot, similar to how honas52 used her purple version of the fabric.  When I decided to use the turquoise in the corners, though, I decided I wanted a more traditional look to the block.  When I saw the rectangles in week 15's block, I knew I could not resist using the fabric there.  Don't look at it too long or you might get a headache!  I cannot end without mentioning how great it is that New Zealand led the way in rights for women - 100 years ago!  Thanks for the inspiration, ladies!

I decided to snap a shot of the 15 blocks so far - my design wall is covered, so I took the shot on a table.

First Fifteen Blocks
 It looks like I need more with a light background, similar to weeks 5 and 8 so they don't stick out like a sore thumb at the end.  Dear me, I'll have to control my bright impulses for a few more blocks!

This is a really fun project and I'm enjoying it immensely.

Now....off to work on the Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome home again! You made great progress in a short time - you must have "holed up" in your apartment until the blocks were done. I really love how your Bride's Knot looks - my eyes are not too keen on that wavy pattern in Centennial!

    ReplyDelete