Easy Street!

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Catching Up with Grandmother's Choice

The past few weeks have been crazy, with helping in a family yard sale and business travel.  I have managed to keep up with some sewing, though.  I have done the blocks for Grandmother's Choice Block of the Week, but have not had time to post them until now.

Weeks 31, 32, 33 - I have been in quite the graphic design mode:

Week 31: Tinted Chains: Click

In week 31, the title of the block was "Tinted Chains".  In the blog post, Barbara Brackman writes:  "The fact is women are in chains and their servitude is all the more debasing because they do not realize it." Susan B. Anthony 1872... A century later Ms. Magazine created the code words "The Click," to define that flash when a woman realizes the psychological chains that have governed her self-image, role, and behavior.

Later, I used the oval fabric to represent the links in the chain.  Originally I planned to use the black on white down the middle and the white on black in the four squares at the sides, but it was too much, even for me!  I quite like how this one turned out.



Week 32: Mr. Roosevelt's Tie
Week 32 commemorates Theodore Roosevelt who support (sort of) women's rights but didn't think they were a very important matter until he was up for election and some women had the vote! Although I know he did not have the same type of mustache as the fabric I used, I could not resist using it!  It makes me grin when I see it!  I could have used one of my plaid fabrics in the middle instead and it would have been good as well (or better):

Block 32: Mr. Roosevelt's Tie - not used


Week 33: Contrary Husband

 Finally, we just completed week 33, with some more Y seams.  Mine went together reasonable well, but I did have to sew one of the seams several times before I was happy with it.  This week's block is "Contrary Husband" and brings up the issue in women's suffrage that women could not get away from abusive situations.  So Barbara writes:  "We can use it not so much to recall a bad marriage, but as a reminder of an important legal right, the freedom to leave." 

No comments:

Post a Comment