Easy Street!

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Coffee Cup: Not My Job Description

This 34th week of the Grandmother's Choice BOW deals with the issues of the inequality of women's pay and as an indicator of that the fact that women were expected to make the coffee.  When I was in college I worked a couple of summer's at the same place my mother worked.  I remember being incredulous that I had to wait at the end of the day for her to take care of the coffee pot.  It mystified me that she felt obligated to sharpen the boss's pencils, even when we were late for something planned for the evening. 

Now, mind you, some of this came from her training when she was fresh out of high school and worked as a secretary at that Agency.  She resigned when I was 5 and went back to work there when I was 17, and boy had the times changed!  She had a little bit of difficulty NOT doing some of those tasks.  I opined (with my typically 20 year old indignant attitude) that if she WANTED to do those things and was not EXPECTED to do those tasks, it would be fine.  And I told her that she should never teach the younger secretaries that it was mandatory.  Ah - to be young and right all the time!

She did grow a backbone and really embraced the ability to have a say and to express her opinions.  I am so proud of all she has accomplished!

So - here's my nod to both tradition in the saucer and lace tablecloth and more modern times in a bold coffee cup.


I chose this fabric for the saucer because it reminds me of this saucer that my grandma and/or my aunt used -- not for coffee but to prop a glue gun on so the glue would not get on the table!


1 comment:

  1. Very nice - love the addition of the lace on your table top!

    ReplyDelete