Easy Street!

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Dixie Diary - Dreams of Home - Strawberries Anyone?

 Traditionally called "Broken Dishes" the May (month 5) block for the Dixie Diary Block of the Month was challenging for me.  I really wanted to use a strawberry embroidered piece since it is June and that is the big month for Strawberries here where I live.  However, the embroidery is around the edge of the dresser scarf and I had to figure out how I could incorporate it into the block.


Middle of the block made wit
Instead of sewing it onto muslin and then into the block, I cut out a plain square from the center of the dresser scarf and sewed it onto the muslin, then made the center part of the block . 



I cut off two corners to use in the block.  To the left in the picture is the cutting line where I cut the square for the half square triangles in the picture above.

Then I overlaid the corner of the piece with the strawberries onto the center block, laid the next piece on top and sewed the seam.  You can see the strawberry piece is just overlayed on the cream portion of the block.






I then finished the block with a cute check that matches the border of the piece.  I considered adding strawberry pieces instead of the check, but decided in this case less embroidery is a better composition. I think it looks like a picnic in a block!



No comments:

Post a Comment