Easy Street!

Saturday, December 7, 2013

Dixie Diary - Month 12 - Turning Yankee

The story last month left us hanging to learn whether Sarah Morgan would swear allegiance to the Yankees in order to help her mother survive the war, and we learn this month that indeed they went to New Orleans. Her mother gave them "the what for", though. Read about it here!

And here is the block for this month:


This was a little challenging to construct because the embroidery is from a dish towel and not so sturdy, even with the muslin with which I always line the embroidery pieces. At the same time, once pressed the seams lay down quite nicely.

This concludes this BOM.  Now on to the setting for the quilt. I have a plan, and I hope I can execute it. It might be a while before I get to it with all the other projects on my plate. I think I will try to make a little portion of the setting every night and perhaps it will proceed more quickly than I think!

This has been a very fun project incorporating my grandmother's embroidery in the blocks. I never really knew her, though I am named for her -- my given name was her nickname. I'm not so sure I look like a "Eugenia" -- "Dena" suits me better! So this has been a therapeutic project, as well as an experiment in use of the embroidery. Success on both areas, so it's been a good year.

Thanks to Barbara Brackman for the journey through the Civil War through the eyes of young Sarah Morgan. Thanks to Dustin for moderating the Civil War Quilts flicker site where we shared our progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment