Easy Street!

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Looking Forward

And now it's 2013!  I am trying to formulate a plan of sorts for the year in my quilting journey.  Of course, it's all for enjoyment so any plans are subject to change!  My overall goals are to:
  • continue refining my piecing skills - precision in cutting and sewing
  • incorporate non-traditional handwork from my family into some work
  • incorporate some of my photography into a quilt
  • learn to paper piece

I plan to complete the Barbara Brackman Grandmother's Choice BOW project blocks and I hope to get the top assembled.  I need to decide on a setting, though, and I am bouncing ideas around in my head.  This project is helping me with my piecing skills.  It also helps in the design area because I can see what many other people are doing with their blocks and see different approaches to the same block.

I am also working to finish the Bonnie Hunter's Easy Street mystery quilt from the holidays.  I have all the small steps done, and am now constructing the 15.5" blocks - 3 block As completed, 12 more to go, then 9 block Bs.  I'm taking my time getting this one done, and am not worrying too much about complete precision because it is so scrappy.  I'm just enjoying the process on this one.

I also have two other projects in process - a red and white quilt for my overall guild's 40th anniversary and a star quilt from the last National Quilting Day.  I am finalizing borders on both and hope to get the to the quilter soon.

I just started the Barbara Brackman Dixie Diary BOM project.  It is geared toward beginning quilters and she incorporates an applique of a star or heart in each block.  However, I do not particularly enjoy applique and it is here I am incorporating embroidery and maybe some crochet snippets from other handiworkers in my family, particularly my paternal grandmother.

I may do the Block of the Month hosted by WebFabrics.  Carly has picked an "organized scrappy" look to the blocks and is leaving space in the middle of each block for us to finish how we like.  I think this is where I may include some of my photography.  This would be fun and would get me out using the camera for more than taking pictures of quilts!  I feel the need to play with my macro lens.

I have several other projects I could start.  Not sure what I'll do next.  I am going to my guild's retreat in March and may try the paper piecing out then.  I have a Celtic paper-pieced pattern and it would be appropriate since the retreat is just before St. Patrick's Day.



No comments:

Post a Comment