Easy Street!

Monday, January 7, 2013

Mini Treasure Trove

Grandma's Pattrns
I have said I am going to incorporate some of my paternal grandmother's embroidery into the Dixie Diary blocks.  As I was putting some of my mess stash away yesterday, I remembered the large box I have from my maternal grandmother's "quilt drawer".  She had a chest drawer full of quilt, embroidery and craft patterns.  I remember her deciding to make, say, a Sunbonnet Sue quilt and rifling through the drawer to find the appropriate pieces.  I know have the contents of that drawer in a large under-the-bed storage box.  Some day I will go through it to try to put the pattern pieces with one another.


I decide not to open the bin at midnight last night because I know there's so much in it.  Then I see a white tin on the shelf.  I don't remember what is in it, but it's not too big, so let's investigate:




 I open the tin - hmmm - bunch of newspaper clippings and I see a little fabric.  The newspaper clippings and a Farmer's Almanac cover date from 1928 - 1949.  One of the items in the tin is my great-grandmother's Order of the Eastern Star membership card dated 1938.  Ah - that's right!  This is my great-grandmother's tin of bits and bobs.




 So - it's a relatively small tin - how much can there be in it (ha ha ha) - so I empty it at 12:15 this morning instead of going to sleep.  I'll be darned if it isn't a little treasure trove:


Great-Grandma Walthall's patterns and stuff

I'm glad my grandma kept these and passed them on - I am going to enjoy going through it all!

Wonder where I can find an embroidery pattern to work into a Dixie Diary Block?




 A little piece of gingham with a cross-stitched mouse

Close-Up - this is 2" x 1.25"
 
JACKPOT!  What fun it was to find this.  I can't wait to incorporate another generation's work into my Dixie Diary blocks!

No comments:

Post a Comment