Easy Street!

Monday, February 18, 2013

Block of the Week - The Carrie Nation Quilt

In week 25 we learn about Carrie Nation and her temperance views on life.  A block was named after her in 1940 - her fame lived well beyond when she died in 1911.  Read about it on Barbara Brackman's blog:  25. The Carrie Nation Quilt

Here's my rendition of the block:



I was so concerned about make the block too small with all the seams that I was (too) careful to do scant 1/4" seams.  So now the block is too big!  Ah well, it would be easy enough to fix and I will probably do that at some point.

This brings us to just beyond the halfway point of this project.  I have decided on most of my setting fabrics.  I think.  Pretty positive.  I am going to frame each block in black w/small white polka dots (definitely) or orange on red polka dots (maybe, probably?).  Then I will use a blue/turquoise-y for the sashing (definitely).  I have not decided whether to do cornerstones - I'll put the frames on some of the blocks and decide that later.

Here's a picture of my setting fabrics with the blocks - messy because I just wanted to see what they looked like together.

Setting Fabrics: Black and blue are definite, not sure about the orange.




No comments:

Post a Comment