Easy Street!

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Let a Business Trip Stop Me?

Nope. I was able to borrow a sewing machine from someone on this trip. So far, after one week, I have:
  1. Finished putting together a quilt for a buddy who loves baseball: 
  2. Made 5 Dear Jane border triangle blocks (two still need applique)
  3. Finished assembling the pieced border for the Celtic Solstice mystery by Bonnie Hunter
  4. Finished making cornerstones and assembled the Dixie Diary top
 Quilt for Steve:





He loves baseball, so as it goes with my "code" quilts, baseballs are considered "dots". The pennants around the edges are the colors of the teams in Major League Baseball's National League. West Cost Division teams are on the left, Central Division teams are on the top, and East Division teams are on the right.


Dear Jane - no pictures yet

Celtic Solstice Pieced Border:



Dixie Diary Setting:





Option 1

This one is the liveliest of the options. I like that it has so many of the colors in the quilt, including the red. I also like this one because it has a variety of green shades, as do the blocks.

Option 2
This option has fewer colors and uses the predominant colors. I like the large scale of the print in this one. A variety of greens is in this fabric as well. This plays more in the background than option 1.


Option 3
 This option stays in the background and has lighter versions of most of the fabrics in the blocks. It also has quite a bit of the dark tan color used in the cornerstones of the setting.

I will have to ponder this decision a while. I really do not know which I prefer.

As for the coming week, I plan to:


  1. Start the backing for Steve's quilt
  2. Decide on the border and attach it (maybe) for Dixie Diary
  3. Work on more Dear Jane triangles

5 comments:

  1. Your energy for quilting while on travel is amazing! So the piano keys have been dropped in favor of these lively prints for the DD border. They are all good choices - I imagine the decision could be based on where you plan to use the quilt. If I were to put it in my north facing guest room for example, I'd pick the lively pink and yellow because that room can be a bit drab. But something about the third option appeals to me for its quiet way of echoing your blocks' colors. Maybe I like it too because it's so not-Civil-War-repro!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I forgot to say, you won't go wrong with any of these choices!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just did not like the piano keys once I laid it out. Perhaps it was due to the fact that I used embroidery in the cornerstones. Perhaps it is just too traditional. I am "feeling" these border fabrics much more. It will hang in my bedroom so it's got to be something I love!

    Thanks for the input. (Civil war reproduction are definitely not my style! )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe that's what I could do - go on a business trip and get some sewing done because not much has been happening on my projects lately! I'm not qualified to comment on a baseball quilt so I won't. The Celtic border looks great - what a lot of sewing. But your Dixie Diary? That I'll comment on. I would choose option 2. The colors are great and they seem to blend and merge together happily whereas the other two are more individually distinct pieces of color. Yep, I'd vote for option 2 and then bind with a bright shot of blue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am leaning towards option 2. If (when?) I decide on option 2, I may bind it with option 1. Bright shot of blue is intriguing, so I will test out a few options. I want to see them in the room where it will hang. I will have a small chair on the wall on which this will hang, and I may paint it a bright blue and upholster the seat in option 1 fabric, along with using option 1 as the binding. Decisions, decisions.

    ReplyDelete