Easy Street!

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Deciding When to Stop - Red/White Challenge

My guild is turning 40 this year and has issued a challenge for the annual quilt show to make a quilt with 40 of something or to make a quilt in the guild colors of red and white.  I have never done a two-color quilt before, so I decided to make a red and white quilt.  I am using a pattern from Kaffe Fassett's book, Quilts en Provence, by Liza Prior Lucy called "Gameboard Quilt".

I am at a decision point for how many "rounds" I am going to complete for this quilt.  Here's the two options:




I like the one on the left because it is nice and clean.  I added another round on the right (corners are sewn, but they are not sewn onto the center piece) so that the dark red would end up on point.  The quilt in the book has yet another round added, but I do not want to go that large.

How do you decide when to stop adding onto a quilt?

Bonus question:  Would you just bind this one as is (that's what the book has) or would you add a border?

2 comments:

  1. Now you know how long it takes me to finish a quilt so I am in no way the one to give advice on how to stop adding! But I prefer the one on the right. If you want to give it a "clean" look then use a wide clear red binding or a plain (unpieced) border again, using a clear red or maybe even a clear white and then a red binding for a vavoom finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dorry. I have been leaning towards adding the corners for the one on the right.

    For the border, do you think I should use the same fabric as in the white blocks (it's actually got some red polka dots in it, but as you can see it reads white) or a plain white that matches the background?. I am not a big user of plain fabric, but perhaps that's why I've had trouble envisioning a border on this one.

    I like the idea of a border and a wider than normal binding. If I do that I'll sure have to be careful with my stitching!!

    ReplyDelete