Easy Street!

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Embracing my Inner White Space

I have continued to work on the Pointing the Way quilt the last couple of nights after work.  After some comtemplation, I decided to keep the white space.  The pattern calls for a 12" white on white print block in the corners.  I think it is so people can do some fancy schmancy quilting in the corners.  HOWEVAH, I don't do fancy schmancy quilting.  I embraced the white space, but added texture by continuing the use of 16 patch blocks doing each corner in all white on white prints.  I like how it is coming out:


Not a great picture, but you can see it ok. 

Still looking at those borders.  I like the inner border of points and I'm still not sure about the outer border. The vertical piece was the suggestion in the "kit" I got, and the upper pieces are from the fabric in the quilt.  I don't have enough extra fabric to use all the way around, but could get some that matches closely.


2 comments:

  1. I like where it looks like you are going with the outer border in your layout. It will be more piecing but you can just combine random sized pieces and include that orange and white print with the others. That will give a more dynamic outer border than either just the print with the white or the more subdued ones would provide. Maybe you don't even have to go shopping that way: donations from friends also work and you'd only be asking for squares or short rectangles. I think a hint at a bee or guild meeting could net you just the right stuff to make it really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheryl - Thanks for the idea - sometimes a logical option is right in front of you and you just don't see it!

    I am not completely positive, but I may use the orange and white print by itself for the border. Maybe add a small, simple cornerstone to make the break of the print easier to visualize.

    If I decide I want to break it up, as Cheryl suggests, it will be easy enough to do.

    ReplyDelete