Easy Street!

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Whatever Possessed Me?


No - not Halloween.  It's Saturday, which means it's Grandmother's Choice Block of the Week time.  This week commemorates Susan B. Anthony and New York.  She voted in New York and was arrested for her trouble.  Sadly, she died before the amendment was passed that would have allowed her to vote.  Check out the blog for more info - link to it is over on my links area.  The block is a flag with a square (recommended to be star fabric) up in the left-hand corner and stripes.

4 1/2" inch log cabin
Week 9 - New York: Susan B. Anthony Breaks the Law

So, back to being possessed.  I have never done a log cabin block before.  I have thought about it, but have never decided to do one.  So whatever possessed me to do one for the flag?  If you look closely, you will see the center of the log cabin is, in fact, star fabric.  The small block also reminds me of the place you make your mark to vote.  So there you have it.  I have no idea why I did this, but it was fun and only required ripping one seam out before I paid enough attention to make sure I did the "logs" in the correct order!

I decided to replace the white logs in the upper left of the log cabin block:

Try 2 - Better, I think!



3 comments:

  1. Like you, I wonder what was behind a decision. For my block this week, I started with a beautiful group of hand dyes. But then, I looked at that little bit of a toile fabric, that had one solitary head of a figure - when I had a whole lot of foliage and garden I could use, I fussy cut for the head - and then I had to change all the other fabrics. Your decision on the log cabin with the center for the vote makes a lot more sense than mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did the right thing in changing the outer white log.Your block was a great and original version of the block for this week but it is even better with that stronger fabric on the outer edge of the log cabin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Dorry. Not sure that I didn't go too far with the larger print on those logs, but I am much happier with it now. It bugged me all day long!

    ReplyDelete