Easy Street!

Monday, November 19, 2012

Kick in the Pants

Saturday was, of course, Grandmother's Choice Block of the Week day.  I checked out the pattern, and it didn't look so bad -- I've gotten used to sewing in a Y-seam.  (aside:  did not know this was going to be "get really good at Y seams block of the week, but I digress).  It is Week 12 and the pattern is Little Boy's  Breeches: Dress Reform.   It deals with the fact that women's fashion was extremely uncomfortable.  If you go check out the blog, you'll learn why women's pants are called Bloomers!  It was not acceptable for women to wear pants until the 20th century.  Now look at us!

Saturday was also my guild's sew-in at a local library day.  I gathered a selection of black and white, and turquoise fabrics and another project, put all my stuff in the car and off I went!  I quite enjoy these sew-in's they provide an opportunity to get feedback on works in progress, some social activity with like-minded ladies, and a full day of concentrated sewing.  Little did I know this ENTIRE day would be spent on this seemingly not-so-bad block.  I had sympathy from Dorry, over at Colvin Kiwi Quilts, as she is also working on the block of the week project.   There might have been some sounds of frustration from our two tables as we went back and forth to see what progress each of us was making. The others in the room were mystified at our tenacity and length of time we spent on these blocks!

The first task was selecting fabrics for the "breeches" and backgrounds.  The pattern has 4 pants in the pattern, and I wanted each to be different.  I came up with 4 black & white breeches, and 4 turquoise breeches.  So, I think to myself, I'll just make two blocks.  ha ha ha ha ha ha haaaaaaa

The result turned out ok, but constructing this block was much more difficult than I imagined it would be.  Neither block is perfect, but I am somewhat satified with the result.  Here's my final blocks and what I wish I would do to change them a bit:

Little Boy's Breeches

I would just like to clean up the construction for the one on the left with the black and white breeches.  This was the first one I made, and the set in seams are a bit "wonky".

For the one on the right with the black background, I would change where the patterns are.  I meant to put the polka dot and floral opposite each other.  I just got them in the block differently than I planned.  To change it would mean re-doing both set in seams, and I'm not sure I want to attempt it.

Shoud I change them?  I am not sure which I will use, but my personal preference is the one on the right.  The one on the left works better with my current set of blocks, so I'm keeping an open mind.

I find it interesting that the comments on the flicker group are even as to which block is preferred. 

Yowza, what a week!  I am certainly meeting my goal of learning a lot and attempting blocks I would never choose left to my own devices. 

1 comment:

  1. So, I'm still liking the black and white bloomers for you. The turquoise bloomers are good but I agree with you on the placement of them and I also wonder about how that one would look with a spot of red on top of that center black square? So if you want to go with the one that is closest to being finished then my vote is that the one on the left fulfills the requirement very nicely and looks good too.

    ReplyDelete