Easy Street!

Sunday, March 10, 2013

East Street Pieced, Now for Borders

Did you hear the yell of excitement today?  I finished piecing the Easy Street quilt I started in Sept 2012.  What a lot of pieces it had.  Now, of course I am deciding on borders.   I definitely want to incorporate a 6" outer border in the turquoise.  Most of the pictures below show a 4" border, but I like the wider version.

So - what to do in the inner borders?  Put the solid black next to the pieced portion or have it in between the black and white check and the turquoise or leave it out all together? 

Here's the options I'm looking at and currently leaning toward option 1, eliminating option 2 and still considering option 3.  I may change my mind after dinner! 

Option 1: Narrow black border separates blue and check borders

Option 2: Leave out the narrow black border

Option 3: Black border as innermost border
Aren't pool tables a great place to lay out quilts to see how they look?  I am so happy my condo has one in our community room.

6 comments:

  1. i like number 1

    -dustin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toss-up between one and three... but I lean more towards three for some reason. I finished mine yesterday, but it was rainy and I don't have a pool table. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I too tend to favor three. What would the binding be?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Binding. Yes. Binding. There is that. Originally I was planning on making the binding from the left-over fabrics in the green or purples in the quilt. No idea now because none of the borders will be scrappy and not so sure I should do that for the binding. I have plenty of the gray used in the quilt that might work.

    I think I'll wait until it is quilted to figure that one out.

    I just need to get at least one border on because the entire edge of the quilt in green is pieces cut on the bias.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i like number 3 best, it gives a clearer definition between the top and the borders, and i think would make for better quilting design potential

    ReplyDelete
  6. My vote is for black inner border then check then turquoise then black binding.... for what it's worth. It's your quilt do whatever you want and ignore the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete