Easy Street!

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Grandmother's Choice Week 27 - Wowsa

After a couple of weeks with easy sewing, this week was a bear!  WOWSA!!!

I made one block and not only did I dislike the construction, I disliked the design:

 Those big black blobs disturbed me!  I kind of like the chevron fabric in the cross, though and the design it made.  I think the pale blue I am using each week was not strong enough to use by itself, but I don't like the fabric I put with it in the frame.  So - on to try 2. 

I like the design of the block better, and I did a little better in the construction of the block.  However, it's still not done very well.  Silly me, picking a fabric that had a stripe effect for the frame portion - the stretching is obvious!  Ah well, someone on the flicker group said there are 16 Y seams in this block.  I did not count, but some baaaaad words came out of my mouth.  THEN, I was almost done, and I noticed that I put one of the cross pieces in upside down and messed up the visual flow of the block.

Here's try 2 (and most like the final one, don't think I want to tackle this one again):



The story was quite interesting.  It seems Katherine Hepburn came by her independent streak honestly.  Check out the blog posting and read the story!

2 comments:

  1. Funny thing - I didn't object to your black squares at all! I think your new version is pretty with that black and white print, but I wouldn't turn my nose up at the chevron striped one - great way to use that striking fabric!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. I posted the first one to the flickr group as well. I really do like the chevron for the cross part of the pattern. Maybe I would like something to break the black up a bit. If I decide to make it again (!) I will experiment some more. Or I can just fix the first one and learn to like the black :-). Or just keep the second one. Time will tell!

      Delete