Easy Street!

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Grandmother's Choice: Broad Arrow - Prison Garb

Did you know that the English used to use a symbol much like an arrow on prisoners' clothing? This week's block represents these arrows. I was a little worried about the design this week because one of the pieces is a 5" block - that's a lot of real estate for fabric!  It's been fun to see what people have done.  Some have used large prints that work very well, and others chose to do a 4-arrow version of the block.

I did not want to spend the time to figure out how to draft the 4 arrow version, and none of my fabrics seemed to work great as part of an arrow in that large block.  I have recently been perusing Pinterest and one of my friends has a lot of strip quilting projects on her page.  So - I thought that would be a good idea as it also ties into the block we did in Week 8.  This is my first attempt at this method, and I like the results:


It's a bit cheery to represent prisoners' clothing, but I have to admit it was fun to do!  I expect I will also have fun deciding where to place it in the quilt.  It must point at something I really like.

Week 30 is done and we have 19 more to go.


2 comments:

  1. It's been quite a ride - I love your choice of strip piecing for this week's block! I have EQ and Blockbase so I didn't have to draft that 4-block version and just had it make me some paper-piecing sheets. But this version works as well or better at the scale of the block - especially with the large variety of prints you used. Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment....I just couldn't see doing a large chunk of fabric.

      I wondered if folks are using these programs to do the block variations. I have neither as I run on a Mac and don't want to bother with the mechanisms for getting them on a Mac. Perhaps the desire will some day outweigh the hassle. Or I'll get a junk PC laptop to use.

      I also don't need anything else to distract me from housework right now! HA!

      Delete