Easy Street!

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Saturday Sewing

I am enjoying being back home and having my sewing machine available.  This morning I went with Suzanne to Web Fabrics and engaged in some serious retail therapy.

I picked up some fabric for the borders and backing for the Easy Street quilt.  Hopefully it will motivate me to finish the doggone thing!

Then I went to my guild's sew-in and completed the Brackman Grandmother's Choice BOW for last Saturday, and the Brackman Dixie Diary BOM that was posted online today:


Grandmother's Choice Week 26
Dixie Diary Month 3




Both were fun to make.  The Grandmother's choice was supposed to be a wreath commemorating the fact that so many women used to die from childbirth due to ignorance and legislation banning contraception.  Sheesh! 

In the Dixie Diary pinwheel block, I again incorporated embroidery from my paternal Grandmother, Eugenia "Dena" Brannen.  I quite like how these blocks with the embroidery are coming out.  I was not sure how well it would work and I am very pleased.  At the sew-in, someone suggested that I press the seams towards the embroidery to make those sections stand out.  What a great idea!  I am going to repress my previous blocks because I do like how it makes the block look. 

After dinner when I returned home, I made this week's Grandmother's Choice.  It did not come out so well, from the construction nor the design standpoints.  So - it's on to try 2.  This is a difficult block and I hope I can have the patience to make it well.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment