Easy Street!

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Grandmother's Choice: Week 29 - 7 Pointed Star

Really?!  Really.  I was at a retreat with my guild this weekend and Colvin Kiwi Quilts and I were discussing this block when we saw it on Saturday morning.  After discussions, we found a place to print the template and made several copies at 100%, 85% and I think 75%.  I decided to wait on trying it, and I'm glad I did.

Thanks to honas52 for the stripe inspiration and to RCCHeryl for the stripe inspiration as well and for her comments on her blog for construction ideas.



To construct the block, I used the PDF provided, but did not use all the pieces. Based on the idea from RCCheryl, instead of using different background shapes all around the star, I repeated the shape to the left of the top middle star point and reversed it when I cut it out for the top right piece. I did the same with the other two pieces on the left, reversing them when cutting for the right side. Then I used one of the star points as the template for the star. To make the paper templates, I printed two copies of the pdf, drew the 1/4" seams around each of the pieces I was using, and then cut them out.

I sewed the block pieces together starting at the bottom with the triangle and the two star points attached to it in counter-clockwise direction. When I got to the last star point, I completed the last seam on the star. The last piece I sewed in was the bottom left one, and I sewed both seams from the inner portion of the block outwards.

I don't know if this makes sense, but it worked for me!

My block finished at 8 1/2" x 8 1/4" and I'm calling it done! Now I need to try week 27 again!

No comments:

Post a Comment